Attempt to get rid of -qrtems

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Jul 1 00:11:39 UTC 2019

On 28/6/19 6:02 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 28/06/2019 01:37, Chris Johns wrote:
>> On 27/6/19 10:08 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>> I would like to get rid of the -qrtems command for normal RTEMS applications.
>> I do not think you can remove -qrtems as it will break all existing configure
>> scripts. The default needs to be stubs.
>
> Ok, this was just some side-effect of an attempt to get rid of the bsp_specs.
> What about the attached patch.

I am sorry I do not know without testing it.

> You can add startfiles via the linker command file. Is it possible to add also
> endfiles? I didn't find anything in the GNU ld documentation about this.

Having the start files in linkercmd files is something I have wondered about for
a long time and I think it is a good idea. I think anything that removes our
dependence on per BSP or even external specs file is a good thing.

I think the way we have a BPS centric build and install makes it difficult to
generalise. For example any configure script that tests for networking fails
without the full BSP set of options plus -lbsd.