Easy Approach to Requirements Syntax?

Andrew Butterfield Andrew.Butterfield at scss.tcd.ie
Mon Jul 8 09:46:18 UTC 2019

Hi Sebatian,
 I'm not familiar with the approach you showed but I have seen similar things.

Something that is in vogue right now is so-called Behaviour-Driven-Development (BDD)*,
and something called Ubiquitous Language (UL). It was being investigated by a PhD student of mine.
BDD seems to suit web-based application development and testing, while UL is really all about
having an agreed glossary between customers and developers.

Having taken a quick look at the paper you mentioned, I think EARS might be a better fit to what we want.

Regard, Andrew

(*) not to be confused with Binary Decision Diagrams!

> On 8 Jul 2019, at 07:42, Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I work currently on a requirements engineering section for RTEMS in the RTEMS Software Engineering manual:
>
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/eng/index.html
>
> There should be some recommendations on how to formulate requirements. What do you thing about the: Easy Approach to Requirements Syntax (EARS)? Has someone used this before? Is it something to recommend?
>
> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/224079416_Easy_approach_to_requirements_syntax_EARS
>
> --
> Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

> Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
> Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09

Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Lero at TCD, Head of Foundations & Methods Research Group
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Room G.39, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
                         http://www.scss.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/