Addition of Rule Checkers

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Jul 29 22:23:04 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 7:16 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I just wanted to make sure we followed proper procedures and policies when considering rule checkers.

I guess these comments are germane to the other thread, but I want to
reflect here a bit.

> 1. The license must appropriate.

Can you expand what you mean by this?

> 2. There should be some basic requirements that the tool is expected to meet to be fit for purpose
>
> 3. The tool must support the range of development hosts used in the Community.

Only if we make it a requirement for developers to check these rules
locally before submitting patches/commits. If we had a server for
example that could accept submissions from developers, this would be
irrelevant?

> As a detail, once selected the tool needs to have an RSB recipe.

Only if you require that checkers must be built-from-source.

> For style checkers, I am concerned that they are not integrated into the normal development and build process. There is already enough "garbage collection" to do and making a special pass. If that's the case, it will just be a burden.
>
> Just some thoughts. I'm not opposed to this, I just don't want something like Coverity where it is only run periodically and only a few people even look at it much less fix problems.

I think that the problem of only running periodically and having few
eyes/fixes are a bit orthogonal to things you pointed out earlier. I
think the inclusion of rule checkers will be a good thing, but I also
agree that how it gets done is important for long-term viability.