build of libbsd for powerpc fails with error: redefinition of 'eieio'

dufault at hda.com dufault at hda.com
Wed Jul 17 21:42:26 UTC 2019

> On Jul 17, 2019, at 01:48 , Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>
> Hello Peter,
>
> On 16/07/2019 19:58, Peter Dufault wrote:
>> I have a build failure with the MVME5500 “beatnik” BSP. Therefore I tried to build the “psim” BSP and have the same failure: the FreeBSD PowerPC “cpufunc.h” and the RTEMS PowerPC “io.h” headers both define static inline "eioeio()" functions.
>> - RTEMS, libbsd, RSB and the build tools are up-to-date as of this AM.
>> - Building for arm xilinx_zynq_a9_qemu succeeds.
>> - I’ll work-around it but I believe I must have something locally screwed up, I can't find any recent changes associated with this.
>
> libbsd doesn't work for all BSPs. For each new BSP you there are probably some things to fix and adjust. I think the <bsp.h> should not include the low level io.h header file. The only powerpc BSP that supported by libbsd is the qoriq.

First an easy question: what rtems-libbsd branch is best to work with: master or 5-freebsd-12?

As for properly fixing the include of libcpu/io.h:

This fix is clear:
- Any .c file below bsps/powerpc/shared/ that need it should include libcpu/io.h directly.  The header is in bsps/powerpc/include/ and both are below bsps/powerpc.

This fix is not clear:
- There are .c files in bsps/shared that reference e.g. “inport_byte()” (e.g. bsps/shared/dev/rtc/mc146818a_ioreg.c).  There are definitions of “inport_byte()” in cpukit/score headers for x86 architectures and in bsp.h headers for PowerPC (arm/gumstix, powerpc/beatnik, powerpc/motorola_powerpc).  For PowerPC the definition is based on what’s in "libcpu/io.h”.  The PowerPC definition of “inport_byte()" should be moved from bsp.h into bsps/powerpc/shared/libcpu/io.h, but then I don’t know the right way to get that header included in the bsps/shared code, there isn’t something like “bsps/shared/include” where a definition could go (and count on proper configuration of the BSPs for everything to link properly).

As an aside, mc146818a_ioreg.c is brittle. It requires that “inport_byte" be a macro and if its definition is moved out of bsp.h the code will not compile properly:

#include <rtems.h>
#include <bsp.h>
#include <libchip/rtc.h>
#include <libchip/mc146818a.h>

/*
 *  At this point, not all CPUs or BSPs have defined in/out port routines.
 */
#if defined(__i386__) || defined(__PPC__)
#if defined(inport_byte)

> --
> Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

> Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
> Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09

Peter
Peter Dufault

This email is delivered through the public internet using protocols subject to interception and tampering.