RFC: conditionalize tests on presence of new ndbm methods

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Mon Jul 29 21:43:49 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 6:34 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am in the middle of building tools with a newlib bump to include the ndbm addition. When I commit the patch which adds a test, builds with older toolsets will break.
>
> I think I should conditionalize the test on the presence of one of the new methods.
>
> Thoughts?

How long do you leave the condition in? at first I thought this is OK,
but generally we accept that a patch on master can cause a need to
update toolchain. As long as the toolchain patch is upstreamed or
available via RSB git-pull, I think it is fine to let older toolsets
break. One should generally expect to rebuild their toolchain after
git-pull of master anyway.