RTEMS on embedded CPUs(RISCV)

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Jun 5 05:11:09 UTC 2019

Hello Sachin,

On 05/06/2019 06:15, sachin.ghadi at sifive.com wrote:

> Hi RTEMS dev team,
>
> I don’t know if I should send this query to users list or developer list.
>
> I am working on the getting RTEMS BSP ported on the one of RISC-V
> based SoC.
>
> Current RTEMS has support only for Spike simulator.

we have also support for Qemu. At least at some point in time it worked
with a non-upstream Qemu. I am not sure how far the upstreaming of the
Qemu support progressed in the last months.

> It looks like RTEMS does not fit very well on the systems having less RAM.
>
> We have 64K of RAM on our standard FPGA development kit for our E
> series embedded cores.

64KiB for code and data is a challenge for RTEMS. You have to tinker
with the configuration and reduce the feature set to get into this range.

> All of the RTEMS test does not fit within this given RAM and linker
> throws error.
>
> Regarding this I have few questions
>
>  1. Does RTEMS accept support for new core with limited tests passing?
>     Or one need full test suit passing to qualify complete test?

What do you mean with "new core"? I think we already support the
practically relevant ISA combinations:

bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv32iac.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv32i.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv32imac.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv32imafc.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv32imafdc.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv32imafd.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv32im.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv64imac.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv64imac_medany.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv64imafdc.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv64imafd.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv64imafdc_medany.cfg
bsps/riscv/riscv/config/rv64imafd_medany.cfg

We have couple of BSP for other architectures (e.g. ARM, PowerPC) that
cannot run all tests.

> 1.
>  2. I saw some thread regarding tinyRTEMS
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Projects/TinyRTEMS
>
> Is there any plan for this to support as separate port for embedded
> cores with limited resources?

I don't think someone is actively working on this. This wiki page is out
of date and needs an update. The next step to get a real size reduction
would be self-contained threads. This way we get rid of all the objects
support and the heap.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de