GSoC Project | Basic Support for Trace Compass

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Jun 5 05:33:35 UTC 2019

On 04/06/2019 19:26, Ravindra Kumar Meena wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I am in regular touch with Babeltrace community to figure out the
> solution for conversion of trace data into CTF. I came to the
> conclusion that current version 1.5.6 of Babeltrace does not have a
> feature to convert live trace stream into CTF(we already had a
> discussion about it). However, this feature is currently available in
> Babeltrace 2.0(master branch) but it is currently in pre-stage.
>
> The approach they shared is that after post-processing phase to
> convert traces from some existing format to CTF we have to create a
> Babeltrace 2 source plugin which reads our trace format into the
> Babeltrace 2 intermediate representation by using the APIs exposed to
> plugins by Babeltrace 2. Babeltrace 2 has a generic CTF sink which can
> serialize the resulting trace intermediate representation into CTF.
>
> The conversation I had between them in May is:
> https://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2019-May/028944.html
>
> and this months conversation is:
> https://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2019-June/029022.html
>
> Please have a look at the above thread. The community is very helpful
> they have even shared a decoder(source plugin) example(you can see
> them in the thread itself) which is necessary for whatever is produced
> as trace output to convert into CTF. I will have a look at it.

Thanks for the summary. The Babeltrace 2 source plugin look like the way
to go.

> I also came to know that Trace Compass does not support live
> traces. It is made for post-mortem analyses, so it works only on
> complete trace. They briefly supported live traces a few years back,
> but that made the code much more complicated, so this support was
> dropped. TraceCompass is not made for trace monitoring!

Hm, interesting. This limitation is not really visible from the
marketing sites.

> You can view the whole conversation here(I did this during application
> period):
> https://lists.lttng.org/pipermail/lttng-dev/2019-March/028677.html

In the e-mail a session rotation is mentioned. This doesn't sound that
bad. At the moment this is not really important. We need the basics first.

> So, in my point of view, we should stick with the post-processing
> method. We should store the traces in the disk and then convert it to CTF.

I would try to concentrate on a Babeltrace 2 source plugin. If it works
we should try to upstream it to:

https://github.com/efficios/babeltrace/tree/master/plugins

Alternatively, you can try to write the converter using support from
barectf.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de