[rtems-libbsd commit] Remove junk folders.

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Jun 12 22:24:46 UTC 2019

On 12/6/19 9:22 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 12/06/2019 09:15, Chris Johns wrote:
>> Module:    rtems-libbsd
>> Branch:    master
>> Commit:    c099dbe9f66221372838ed585b35cfd3ac002d3f
>> Changeset:
>> http://git.rtems.org/rtems-libbsd/commit/?id=c099dbe9f66221372838ed585b35cfd3ac002d3f
>>

>> Author:    Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org>
>> Date:      Wed Jun 12 17:13:48 2019 +1000
>>
>> Remove junk folders.
>
> They are probably junk folders,

On a Mac they are updated and changed by Finder and I have no control over this.

> however, they are included in the Apple source archives.

Oh I am sorry, I did not know where they came from. They can appear by accident
in a repo if a directory is added and I assumed, wrongly, this is what had happened.

I will email Apple and ask them about these files being included and if that is
something they could look into.

> Please don't clean up this directory since this makes updates more
> difficult.

Sure I understand this and it makes sense however that means anyone, such as me,
using libbsd on a Mac will see these files as changed or deleted which is how I
became aware of them. This becomes an on going pain as managing any commits or
updates requires these files get checked out again and again with the hope they
do not change while playing with git, something we do not have control over. It
also changes the state of the repo to modified when it is not.

I think including an any meta-data related files for any OS or desktop tool in
our repos is only going to cause problems for someone. We should endeavor to
avoid doing this where possible.