[rtems-libbsd commit] Remove junk folders.

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Jun 13 04:55:36 UTC 2019

On 13/06/2019 00:24, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 12/6/19 9:22 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> On 12/06/2019 09:15, Chris Johns wrote:
>>> Module:    rtems-libbsd
>>> Branch:    master
>>> Commit:    c099dbe9f66221372838ed585b35cfd3ac002d3f
>>> Changeset:
>>> http://git.rtems.org/rtems-libbsd/commit/?id=c099dbe9f66221372838ed585b35cfd3ac002d3f
>>>

>>> Author:    Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org>
>>> Date:      Wed Jun 12 17:13:48 2019 +1000
>>>
>>> Remove junk folders.
>>
>> They are probably junk folders,
>
> On a Mac they are updated and changed by Finder and I have no control over this.

Ok, I never used a Mac, so I didn't know this.

>> however, they are included in the Apple source archives.
>
> Oh I am sorry, I did not know where they came from. They can appear by accident
> in a repo if a directory is added and I assumed, wrongly, this is what had happened.
>
> I will email Apple and ask them about these files being included and if that is
> something they could look into.

Yes, looks like an oversight from Apple.

>> Please don't clean up this directory since this makes updates more
>> difficult.
>
> Sure I understand this and it makes sense however that means anyone, such as me,
> using libbsd on a Mac will see these files as changed or deleted which is how I
> became aware of them. This becomes an on going pain as managing any commits or
> updates requires these files get checked out again and again with the hope they
> do not change while playing with git, something we do not have control over. It
> also changes the state of the repo to modified when it is not.
>
> I think including an any meta-data related files for any OS or desktop tool in
> our repos is only going to cause problems for someone. We should endeavor to
> avoid doing this where possible.

It is not a big deal to remove a hand full of files which have annoying
side-effects, but it would be good to keep as much files in place as
possible. I update the mDNSResponder via Git rebase and a locally
deleted file leads likely to removed by use vs. modified by them merge
conflicts.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de