BBB Framebuffer : Project status and what's next.

Vijay Kumar Banerjee vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 15:59:21 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

I'm happy to state that with the following patchset, I now have
the Framebuffer device (/dev/fb0) created in Beaglebone Black
and I have tested it in the Hardware with BBB RevC.

>From here, the next steps would definitely be to find a way to
write and read from the framebuffer device. In FreeBSD, the fbd
read/write are empty:

```
static int
fb_read(struct cdev *dev, struct uio *uio, int ioflag)
{
    return (0); /* XXX nothing to read, yet */
}
static int
fb_write(struct cdev *dev, struct uio *uio, int ioflag)
{
    return (0); /* XXX nothing written */
}
```

The read/write happens through the fb_mmap so there are
two possible ways :

1. Add mmap support
2. Add the read/write functions.

If no one objects, I would like to move forward with the first option
to add the mmap support. I will start by looking at the other file
systems that implement mmap in RTEMS and gradually move to
adding the mmap in cdevsw structure in libbsd.

Thanks,
Vijay