GSoC PRU: Texas Instruments License

Christian Mauderer list at c-mauderer.de
Thu Jun 20 09:28:36 UTC 2019

On 20/06/2019 11:04, Nils Hölscher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to discuss the attached TI-license.
> Is it RTEMS compatible?
> As far as I can see It has no copy left, but the license has to be
> distributed with binarys.
>
> Best,
> Nils
>
> /*
> * prussdrv.c
> *
> * User space driver for PRUSS
> *
> * Copyright (C) 2012 Texas Instruments Incorporated - http://www.ti.com/
> *
> *
> * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
> * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
> * are met:
> *
> * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
> *
> * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
> * documentation and/or other materials provided with the
> * distribution.
> *
> * Neither the name of Texas Instruments Incorporated nor the names of
> * its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
> * from this software without specific prior written permission.
> *
> * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS
> * "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
> * LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
> * A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
> * OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
> * SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
> * LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
> * DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
> * THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
> * (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
> * OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
> *
> */

It looks like a default BSD-3-Clause license:

https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause

The only difference is that TI wrote "IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
OWNER ..." while opensource.org writes "IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT
HOLDER ...". I don't think that's a relevant difference?

RTEMS wants to use 2-Clause-BSD for new code. To be honest: I really
have no idea whether the two are compatible.

Best regards

Christian