pppd unaligned trap on Sparc/LEON3

Cudmore, Alan P. (GSFC-5820) alan.p.cudmore at nasa.gov
Mon Mar 4 19:34:26 UTC 2019

I’m trying to get PPP working on SPARC/LEON3. I’m currently using RTEMS 4.11, but plan on switching to 5.x soon.

While handshaking with a Linux PPP client, the LEON3 gets an unaligned memory trap in the GetMask function:
https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/cpukit/pppd/sys-rtems.c?h=4.11#n1299
The second network interface returned by the ioctl(SIOGIFCONF) call is not aligned on a 4 byte boundary, so the pointer de-reference causes the trap.

It looks like this was referenced in ticket 1401:
https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/1401
NOTE: the caller, when unpacking the
sequence of ifreqs is likely to encounter
the same problem (see separate bug report
filed for pppd)

I could not find that ticket for pppd. Did anyone try to create a fix for this?
Is the best approach to try to fix the pppd GetMask function to avoid unaligned accesses?

Thanks,
Alan