POSIX Compilance- #2966, GSoC Project 2019

Vaibhav Gupta vaibhavgupta40 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 19:49:45 UTC 2019

Hello,
As mentioned by Dr Joel that high priority is to be given to
implementations missing in FACE GPP 3.0.
So, I have got FACE Technical Standard 3.0 pdf downloaded. And its pretty
easy to compare tickets now.
.
And while exploring big picture I got many questions:

1 - It is mentioned in the ticket #2966, *"RTEMS POSIX Compliance is
achieved via a combination of methods and .h files in RTEMS and the newlib
C Library."* .
So, if a method or a header is present in Newlib C, it is not required to
be present in RTEMS library? But that would mean Newlib is directly ported
to RTEMS.
.

*> I had an off-list talk with Vijay, he proved to be very helpful. I asked
him same question (question 1), I would like to conclude what we discussed.
*

*> He told that "RTEMS uses its own version of Newlib C as it cannot
directly mirror original Newlib as, if methods change the way it works,
they can break RTEMS".*

*> But then my doubt was, if that's the case, why keep modified headers of
original Newlib under separate Newlib C folder in RTEMS? Why not directly
include them in RTEMS library? (As I found newlib-1d35a003f.tar.gz in
{RTEMS-ROOT}/rsb/rtems/sources/    )*
*.*
*> To which he replied,  "RTEMS version of newlib is being used as a
libraby of RTEMS only and the posix functions are being linked to this
newlib"*
.
2- So, My second doubt is that our target is to contribute to Newlib C or
RTEMS Library? Or we will add methods to Newlib C and link them to RTEMS?

Thanks
Vaibhav Gupta