GSoC Proposal : BeagleBoard project

Christian Mauderer list at c-mauderer.de
Sun Mar 31 07:55:38 UTC 2019

Am 31.03.19 um 09:08 schrieb Vijay Kumar Banerjee:

> On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 7:27 AM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org
> <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 31/3/19 5:05 am, Vijay Kumar Banerjee wrote:
>     > On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 5:09 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org
>     <mailto:gedare at rtems.org>
>     > <mailto:gedare at rtems.org <mailto:gedare at rtems.org>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >     Remember you can submit your "Final" proposal many times on
>     GSoC site.
>     >     I made a few comments just regarding the 'public' view of your
>     >     project. I think the technical plan looks reasonable, and
>     leave it to
>     >     the potential mentors to steer your technical path.
>     >
>     >     Gedare
>     >
>     > Thank you for reviewing the proposal. I have made the changes
>     according to the
>     > comments and also have uploaded the final proposal in the summer
>     of code site.
>
>     How will this be tested?
>
> The target is to get a console on display. To test each step, I was
> planning to write some
> tests like to test the EDID reading, we can write a test that returns
> the EDID reading if the
> display is detected, or an error if it's not there.
> I think this point is very important and not very clear to me yet. Do
> you have any suggestions
> on testing each part of the project and if possible, include them in the
> testsuite?
>
>     Is https://github.com/littlevgl/lvgl of any value?
>
> I had a brief look and this looks really great and can be a nice
> addition to RTEMS.
> I think this will go in the "future improvements" (?)
>
>     Chris

I would suggest a framebuffer console as the primary target for this
project. Maybe as an extended goal it could be nice to try the libraries
already in RSB:

  https://git.rtems.org/rtems-source-builder/tree/rtems/config/graphics

Adding a new library would be a very extended goal in my view because it
hast the potential to eat up a lot of time.

Vijay: I think you most likely need some test application already during
phase 2? So maybe you should add a point that you want to at least start
a fb-console there? Alternatively: Some simple test application that
just draws some dots or lines?

In phase 3 it would be great to have the graphics libraries as extended
goal (lower priority than cleanup and getting code merged).

Regards

Christian