Query Regarding Old Projects, for GSoC 2019

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sun Mar 10 20:06:07 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019, 2:29 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 6/3/19 10:23 pm, Amaan Cheval wrote:
> > I'm not sure if the project is open, but if it is, I'd be willing to
> co-mentor.
>
> Thanks.
>

> > On Wed, Mar 6, 2019, 2:45 PM Vaibhav Gupta <vaibhavgupta40 at gmail.com
> > <mailto:vaibhavgupta40 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     I was exploring for more open projects and found the following one.
> >
> >     - Port V8 Javascript Engine :
> >     https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Projects/Open/V8
> >
> >     Not much information is given about it and even the above link was
> modified
> >     in 2015. I want to know if the project is open for GSOC 2019?
> >     If it is open, then It would be great to know if someone would like
> >     mentor it. I would like to discuss further on it.
>
> I suggest you create a ticket for this project like the other GSoC tickets
> we
> have and add some additional details ..
>
> - Please list the archs supported, this is viewable in the src tree.
> - Add something about needing Chromium's depot_tools. I see FreeBSD is not
>   listed but chromium is available on FreeBSD.
> - Investigate the build system and if it is possible to cross-compile.

I'm a bit concerned that it may require things RTEMS does not have. Does it
mmap in ways we don't support? I doubt it forks new processes but that has
to be answered. Some basic research plus an attempt to compile it for RTEMS
with problem sections disabled is a good first step of any porting
evaluation.

FWIW I looked at porting the PDF viewer from chromium to RTEMS. Their build
system seemed quite complex.