Design Tools for RTEMS Qualification Toolchain

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Mar 27 19:31:42 UTC 2019

Scott. mentioned you below. Time for you to speak up. :)

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 1:08 PM Jose Valdez <Jose.Valdez at edisoft.pt> wrote:

> Hello Joel,
>

> From the statement of work of the RTEMS Qualification, we have that:
>

> “The Software Design Document (SDD) has to cover ECSS-E-ST-40C clauses
> 5.4.3.1.a, 5.4.3.2.a, 5.4.3.3.a, 5.4.3.4.a, 5.4.3.5.a, 5.4.3.6.c,
> 5.5.2.1.a, 5.5.2.1.b, 5.5.2.1.c, 5.5.2.2.a, 5.5.2.3.a, 5.5.2.4.a,
> 5.5.2.5.a, 5.5.2.6.a, 5.5.2.7.a, 5.5.3.1.a, 5.5.3.2.a, 5.5.3.2.b,
> 5.8.3.3.a, and 5.8.3.4.a and ECSS-Q-ST-80C clause 7.2.2.3.a.”

Thanks. The qualification and compliance efforts I have been involved with
or near allow you to do "bespoke" documentation and provide a mapping from
the expected to the actual.More below.

> The Software Design Document is the document which will contain
> Architectural Design (“high level”) and Detailed Design (“low level”) of
> RTEMS.

Using this as an example, we could have an Architecture Design document and
something else for Detailed Design. The mapping document from ECCS to RTEMS
artifacts would go through each of those section numbers, likely repeat the
text, and then explain where the required information is for RTEMS. If
necessary, it will justify the mapping. For example,say we were using a
true modeling tool which generated code, requirements, etc. It is quite
likely that its output is not in the format or names expected by ECCS, NASA
Quaity, DO-178, or another standard.

Providing the mapping document insulates both RTEMS and ECCS from each
other.

This is not to say that the names or artifact list in ECCS is bad -- just
that it is ECCS. And another standard will name the same artifact
differently. We will end up producing mapping documents so we might as well
start with one.

Scott Zemerick did a mapping for a couple of the quality standards when he
gave us the outline of the Software Engineering Guide. If we do an ECCS ->
RTEMS mapping, then the NASA folks should be able to do a NASA Quality and
hopefully DO-178 -> RTEMS mapping document in parallel.

> This means that the RTEMS Qualification Toolchain shall cover as much as
> possible the points above. I expect that some of the points can be done
> with the help of a tool (e.g. production of detailed component and sequence
> diagrams) but I haven’t seen a tool that does every content automatically –
> although of course, this would be great. My best guess is that the
> qualification toolchain will pick up the design that is made, probably bits
> of sphynx modules, aggregate them, do some automatic work (e.g.
> traceabilities, interfaces) and then generate a final Sphynx that could be
> converted to pdf. For the points above which cannot be automated, they have
> to be done manually.

I'm old and cynical on the quality of generated output so I am guessing
that we will find some we like and some that sucks. Hopefully the stuff we
have to do by hand is not volatile. Things dependent on source code need to
be generated.

Devil is in the details. We have to push each artifact topic and make it as
easy and maintainable as possible.

> I hope that this explanation answers your questions. Note also for your
> question below: “This is a goal for improving the RTEMS Project processes.
> Are these being captured?”, yes, we will do it

+1 Did my outline for the tools evaluation chapter in the SW Engineering
Guide make sense? I hope so because I think you are working on it now.

If the requirements tool evaluation is nearing an end, posting that as a
patch in Rest for the Guide would be a good start. This will then be
another section in the same chapter.

--joel