GSoC Project | Basic Support for Trace Compass

Guillaume Champagne guillaume.champagne at polymtl.ca
Wed May 15 19:46:13 UTC 2019

Hi Ravindra,

If you look at the dependencies and build process of lttng-tools [1]
and lttng-modules [2] you'll see that both projects are very tied to
linux. Lttng stands for linux tracing toolkit next generation after
all :).

An idea to produce CTF could be to reuse the binary format already
existing in the Capture Engine and write a CTF metadata file to
explain the format to the CTF parser. CTF is very flexible and we can
make it understand a wide range of binary formats. The CTF spec has a
few examples on that at the end [3]. Trace Compass only cares about
the event types in the trace and their content, not their actual
binary representation (they just have to be decodable using the CTF
metadata file). I had a working prototype for CTF traces in RTEMS here
[4], but I don't have the metadata file I used at hand.

Feel free to come by the tracecompass or lttng irc channels if you
have any questions regarding Trace Compass or CTF!

[1] https://github.com/lttng/lttng-tools
[2] https://github.com/lttng/lttng-modules
[3] https://diamon.org/ctf/#examples
[4] https://github.com/gchamp20/rtems/commits/ctf