GSoC Project | Basic Support for Trace Compass

Ravindra Kumar Meena rmeena840 at gmail.com
Thu May 16 09:05:43 UTC 2019

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the clarification. I had one approach in my mind(direct
generation of CTF) which seems failed now.  Now, how should I convert the
trace data into CTF?

I looked into the codebase. I think these are the below files that we have
to work with.

grep -r rtems/record.h --include='*.[ch]'

cpukit/include/rtems/confdefs.h:    #include <rtems/record.h>
cpukit/libtrace/record/record-server.c:#include <rtems/record.h>
cpukit/libtrace/record/record-sysinit.c:#include <rtems/record.h>
cpukit/libtrace/record/record.c:#include <rtems/record.h>
cpukit/libtrace/record/record-userext.c:#include <rtems/record.h>
5/arm-rtems5/xilinx_zynq_a9_qemu/lib/include/rtems/confdefs.h:    #include
<rtems/record.h>

Thanks

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 12:14 PM Sebastian Huber <

> On 15/05/2019 18:45, Ravindra Kumar Meena wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 5:27 PM Sebastian Huber
> > <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> > <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 15/05/2019 13:50, Ravindra Kumar Meena wrote:
> >
> >     Is lttng under a suitable license (I think no) and portable to RTEMS?
> >
> > I found this at the bottom of LTTng website. https://lttng.org/
> >
> > " The LTTng Documentation is licensed under CC BY 4.0. LTTng-tools is
> > licensed under LGPLv2.1 and GPLv2. LTTng-UST is licensed under
> > LGPLv2.1, the MIT license and GPLv2. LTTng-modules is licensed under
> > LGPLv2.1, GPLv2 and the MIT license. "
> >
> > I am not sure what type of license is suitable.
>
> RTEMS requires permissive licenses, e.g.
>
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Contributing#LegalRequirements
>
> I think you suggested to use LTTng-UST:
>
> https://github.com/lttng/lttng-ust/blob/master/LICENSE
>
> "LTTng UST (User-Space Tracer) Licensing
> Mathieu Desnoyers
> December 5, 2012
>

> * LGPLv2.1
>
> This library is distributed under the LGPLv2.1 license. It is intended
> to allow use of the tracer API from both free and proprietary software.
>
> * MIT license :
>
> Public header files, and LTTng filter runtime code are distributed under
> the MIT license. See mit-license.txt for details.
>
> * GPLv2
>
> Library test code is distributed under the GPLv2 license, as specified
> in the
> per-file license. See gpl-2.0.txt for details. A copy of the
> perf_event.h Linux kernel installed header file is also licensed under
> GPLv2."
>
> So, the support library is LGPLv2.1, which is not suitable for RTEMS.
>

> >     Does it meet the performance requirements?
> >

> > How do I check that? These are the features of LTTng
> > https://lttng.org/features/
>
> LTTng has several parts, you should be more specific. I guess you mean
> the LTTng User Space Tracing (LTTng-UST) library. There are two issues
> with it
>
> 1. it uses LGPLv2.1, and
>
> 2. it supports currently only the Linux user space.
>
> I don't think porting it to RTEMS makes sense as a part of this GSoC
> project.
>
> --
> Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

> Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
> Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09

*Ravindra Kumar Meena*,
B. Tech. Computer Science and Engineering,
Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines)
<https://www.iitism.ac.in/>, Dhanbad