taking the Interrupt Manager Extension as an example for the qualification process

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu May 23 07:45:35 UTC 2019

On 22/05/2019 16:11, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 3:37 AM Ting Peng
> <ting.peng at embedded-brains.de <mailto:ting.peng at embedded-brains.de>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     As we need to choose one RTEMS software component as an example to
>     have
>     an overview of the qualification process, Sebastian Huber suggests to
>     take the Interrupt Manager Extension
>     (https://docs.rtems.org/doxygen/branches/master/group__rtems__interrupt__extension.html)
>
>     as the example. The goal is to integrate the Interrupt Manager
>     Extension
>     in the Interrupt Manager. The example will cover the topics of
>     requirements, test plans, test code, test reports, code coverage,
>     other
>     metrics, software architecture, software detailed design,
>     traceability
>     items (open issue) and Interface control document (ICD) vs. RTEMS
>     Classic API Guide (open issue).
>

> What other candidates are up for consideration?
>
> This may or may not  be a good candidate but at first glance it avoids
> a lot of the
> areas with complexity like thread management and services based on
> open standards.
> Both of which are special areas we need to solve. I always worry that
> a first candidate
> or example avoids addressing issues. which will be encountered elsewhere.
>
> Is it possible to define the challenging areas in RTEMS for the
> process and then
> identify the first few components that cover the challenging areas?

We are mainly interested in the Classic API at the moment. I selected
the Interrupt Manager Extensions since it has a clear scope, it is not
yet included in the RTEMS Classic API Guide and there are not tests in
the repository.

Adding a specification for POSIX API parts is probably a bit more
difficult, since you also have to interpret the POSIX standard.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de