Instructions to send a Patch

Aditya Upadhyay aadit0402 at gmail.com
Tue May 28 06:17:31 UTC 2019

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 10:42 PM Vaibhav Gupta <vaibhavgupta40 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, okay I will keep that in mind.
> .
> But there is one problem with this patch then.
> .
> .
> If i just copy-paste ndbm.h, db.h(needed by ndbm.h) and ndbm.c and make the entry of ndbm.c  in Makefile.am.
> Then run 'autoreconf' to add the entry for ndbm.c in Makefile.in.  And then run `make` command. There will be compilation error.
> .

See Instructions here about regenerating the configuration files in newlib.
https://sourceware.org/newlib/README
Newlib uses a specific version of autoconf. You can use `autoreconf
-fvi` command to regenerate that
Makefile.in file.

> Header files needed by libc/posic/*.c files are present in libc/include directory. It is default path.
> .
> But ndbm.c also requires "hash.h" which is present inside "libc/search".
> .
> To over come it, i had to modify the entry of ndbm.c in Makefile.in and add "-I (topr_srcdir)/search" to specify the compiler for alternative source path.

If you specify any header file inclusion in Makefile.am, then you will
need to add the things manually
and when you will run autoreconf command, this .in file will get updated.

> .
> .
> The problem is, to modify Makefile.in there should be entry of ndbm.c . And for that i need to run autoreconf command. Because of that multiple files get modified and hence the patch size got bigger..
> .
> .

I think, you have the problem with your git cloning of newlib-repo.
Otherwise It would not have generated this much
bigger patch.

> One solution can be that I should not use autoreconf and make manual entries for ndbm.c in Makefile.in . Should I try that?
> Because there is need to mention alternative source path for header files, to compile ndbm.c.

You can do this manually, but it would be a wise approach to use autoreconf.