GSoC Project | Basic Support for Trace Compass

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue May 28 07:21:28 UTC 2019

On 28/05/2019 07:20, Ravindra Kumar Meena wrote:

> [...]
>     >     > Hi Sebastian, Gedare
>     >     >
>     >     > On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 8:11 PM Gedare Bloom
>     >     <gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu <mailto:gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu>
>     <mailto:gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu <mailto:gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu>>
>     >     > <mailto:gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu
>     <mailto:gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu> <mailto:gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu
>     <mailto:gedare at gwmail.gwu.edu>>>>
>     >     wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >     On Fri, May 24, 2019, 8:32 AM Ravindra Kumar Meena
>     >     >     <rmeena840 at gmail.com <mailto:rmeena840 at gmail.com>
>     <mailto:rmeena840 at gmail.com <mailto:rmeena840 at gmail.com>>
>     >     <mailto:rmeena840 at gmail.com <mailto:rmeena840 at gmail.com>
>     <mailto:rmeena840 at gmail.com <mailto:rmeena840 at gmail.com>>>> wrote:
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >             >Please clone the repository and look at it a bit
>     >     more closely.
>     >     >
>     >     >
>     >     >         >Which repository? I have already cloned the
>     rtems-libbsd.
>     >     >
>     >     >     >Get to understand how to use babeltrace. Try some small
>     >     examples.
>     >     >
>     >     >  I tried tracing example given here
>     >     >
>     > https://lttng.org/docs/v2.10/#doc-tracing-your-own-user-application.
>     >     > This example generates the CTF data. I have attached all the
>     >     files in
>     >     > case if you want to try them out. After that, I used
>     babeltrace to
>     >     > read the CTF data and print it in text format. I have also
>     attached
>     >     > the output("babeltrace CTF.png") of the command line.
>     >     >
>     >     > I used "babeltrace ~/lttng-traces/my-user-space-session*"
>     >     command line
>     >     > to read the CTF data.
>     >
>     >     >This is good, since you can use the same method to check
>     the CTF
>     >     data
>     >     you generate from an RTEMS record item stream.
>     >
>     >
>     > Yes. I was trying the lttng-live command just in the hope that I
>     could
>     > get the trace data stream. Then I used the babeltrace command to
>     > connect to the target. It got connected to the target but no data
>     > stream were received in output.
>
>     What do you mean with "target"?
>
> The target is where application is running. The telnet with IP address
> command that we used for connecting to the target.

In case the application is an RTEMS application running inside Qemu,
then of course babletrace will have problems to understand the record
item steam since it is not in CTF format. We have the following situation:

[ RTEMS application with event recording running on Qemu ]
     <- TCP stream of record items ->
[ babeltrace ]

What we probably need is something like this:

[ RTEMS application with event recording running on Qemu ]
     <- TCP stream of record items ->
[ custom converter program ]
    <- TCP stream of CTF data ->
[ babeltrace ] or [ Trace Compass ]