How important is Cygwin support for host tools?

Jiri Gaisler jiri at gaisler.se
Thu May 30 13:29:15 UTC 2019

On 5/30/19 2:46 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On Thu, May 30, 2019, 7:41 AM Jiri Gaisler <jiri at gaisler.se
> <mailto:jiri at gaisler.se>> wrote:
>
>     Does anyone still use Cygwin for RTEMS development? The reason I
>     ask is
>     that I have some portability issues for sis (no async I/O on
>     sockets in
>     Cygwin) and I would like to avoid some ugly workarounds if
>     possible. In
>     the age of virtualization and even WSL in Win 10, do we still need
>     Cygwin ...?
>

> There are still users on Cygwin and we test there periodically to
> avoid breakage.
>
> It would be nice to see sis work on Cygwin but I understand if it won't.

There is really only one issue - when sis is connected to gdb, a running
program cannot be interrupted by pressing ctrl-C in gdb. The program can
be stopped by pressing ctrl-C in the simulator window instead, which is
maybe a sufficient workaround..? I will start by letting sis print a
warning for this if gdb mode is entered under cygwin. If there are (too)
many complaints, I will look at it again...

Jiri.