GSoC Project | Basic Support for Trace Compass

Ravindra Kumar Meena rmeena840 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 11:50:39 UTC 2019

Hi Sebastian,

I was exploring the documentation of LTTng and babeltrace and come to the
conclusion that LTTng already produces trace data in CTF format. Since
Trace Compass already supports CTF trace data. So, what I am thinking that
instead of converting trace data to CTF why don't we just directly produce
trace data in CTF using LTTng.

https://lttng.org/docs/v2.10/#doc-tracing-your-own-user-application

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 12:45 PM Sebastian Huber <

> On 14/05/2019 08:34, Ravindra Kumar Meena wrote:
> > On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 11:24 AM Sebastian Huber
> > <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> > <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 13/05/2019 08:24, Ravindra Kumar Meena wrote:
> >     >
> >     > *The goal of this week:*
> >     >
> >     > The goal of phase 1 of my GSoC proposal is to generate the trace
> >     > data(LTTng) in Common Trace Format(CTF) from target running RTEMS
> >     > application. The Event Recording infrastructure lacks the
> >     generation
> >     > of trace data in Common Trace Format(CTF). I will try to figure
> >     out a
> >     > convenient method for it.
> >
> >     Please note that there are at least two options where you can do the
> >     conversion, you can do the conversion on the target or you can do the
> >     conversion on the host.
> >

> > In my point of view, the conversion should take place on the host side
> > because the host is more powerful. It would reduce the conversion time.
>
> Yes, I would try this a approach first. However, please keep in mind
> that RTEMS runs also on 1.5GHz chips with 24 cores. This means the
> conversion must be fast also on a modern host computer if you want to
> support the high end RTEMS systems.
>
> --
> Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

> Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
> Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09

*Ravindra Kumar Meena*,
B. Tech. Computer Science and Engineering,
Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines)
<https://www.iitism.ac.in/>, Dhanbad