GSoC Project | Basic Support for Trace Compass

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu May 16 06:44:16 UTC 2019

On 15/05/2019 18:45, Ravindra Kumar Meena wrote:

> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 5:27 PM Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 15/05/2019 13:50, Ravindra Kumar Meena wrote:
>
>     Is lttng under a suitable license (I think no) and portable to RTEMS?
>
> I found this at the bottom of LTTng website. https://lttng.org/
>
> " The LTTng Documentation is licensed under CC BY 4.0. LTTng-tools is
> licensed under LGPLv2.1 and GPLv2. LTTng-UST is licensed under
> LGPLv2.1, the MIT license and GPLv2. LTTng-modules is licensed under
> LGPLv2.1, GPLv2 and the MIT license. "
>
> I am not sure what type of license is suitable.

RTEMS requires permissive licenses, e.g.

https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/Developer/Contributing#LegalRequirements

I think you suggested to use LTTng-UST:

https://github.com/lttng/lttng-ust/blob/master/LICENSE

"LTTng UST (User-Space Tracer) Licensing
Mathieu Desnoyers
December 5, 2012

* LGPLv2.1

This library is distributed under the LGPLv2.1 license. It is intended
to allow use of the tracer API from both free and proprietary software.

* MIT license :

Public header files, and LTTng filter runtime code are distributed under
the MIT license. See mit-license.txt for details.

* GPLv2

Library test code is distributed under the GPLv2 license, as specified
in the
per-file license. See gpl-2.0.txt for details. A copy of the
perf_event.h Linux kernel installed header file is also licensed under
GPLv2."

So, the support library is LGPLv2.1, which is not suitable for RTEMS.

>     Does it meet the performance requirements?
>

> How do I check that? These are the features of LTTng
> https://lttng.org/features/

LTTng has several parts, you should be more specific. I guess you mean
the LTTng User Space Tracing (LTTng-UST) library. There are two issues
with it

1. it uses LGPLv2.1, and

2. it supports currently only the Linux user space.

I don't think porting it to RTEMS makes sense as a part of this GSoC
project.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de