License and copyright of specification items

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Nov 22 14:10:00 UTC 2019

On 22/11/2019 14:51, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>     So, my proposal is to add two
>     attributes to every specification item:
>
>     1.
>
>     license: 'SPDX-License-Identifier: BSD-2-Clause OR CC-BY-SA-4.0'
>
>     This allows the use of content from specification items as source code
>     and documentation input.
>
>     2.
>
>     copyrights:
>     - 'Copyright (C) 2019 John Doe'
>

> I think I am OK with this as long as we only accept requirements with
> a single license type. We just need to pick a license. If we go to
> BSD-2-Clause,
> then we don't have to give credit in generated documents.
>
> For CC-BY-SA, I believe any generated document would have to give
> credit to every entity with a copyright listed.
>
> If everyone agrees that is the primary practical difference between the
> two licenses, I would prefer we require all to be BSD-2-Clause.
>
> But I am happy with the license and copyright being attributes
> that are generally treated as comments.

I would like to generate the API documentation (e.g. the stuff in the
"Directive" sections) in the RTEMS Classic API Guide from specification
items. During this process documentation content will move from
documentation *.rst files (CC-BY-SA license) to *.yml files in the RTEMS
sources repository.  The content will flow back to the RTEMS
documentation repository to *.rst files with the help of a generator
program. The API header files with Doxygen markup can also be generated.
This is why I would like to dual-license the *.yml files.

This would be a re-licensing of parts of the documentation.

If we solely use the BSD-2-Clause license, then we need a BSD-2-Clause
copyright information in the documents.

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de