Interested in BSP's (No idea where to start?)

Niteesh gsnb.gn at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 20:05:47 UTC 2019

Do both raspberry pi and raspberrypi2 use the same BSP? If not how to build
for raspberry pi 2
I couldn't find any datasheet's for BCM2711(raspberrypi4), could only find
for BCM2835 (raspberrypi1):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/app/uploads/2012/02/BCM2835-ARM-Peripherals.pdf
but I think we can maybe use the Linux device tree for raspberry pi as a
reference,
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-4.19.y/arch/arm/boot/dts/bcm2838.dtsi
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-4.19.y/arch/arm/boot/dts/bcm2838-rpi-4-b.dts

These are some changes that I found out through google:
1) Peripheral base address is now moved to 0x7E000000
2) There's a mention of ARM's GIC400 @ 0x40041000 but probably is only the
distributor since the old CPU interface is still there @ 0x40000000
On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 7:19 PM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 5:42 AM Niteesh <gsnb.gn at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hii, everyone
>> I am interested in contributing to RTEMS, specifically to the arm based
>> BSP's. I am a sophomore in electronics and communication engineering
>> interested in operating systems, and systems programming. I have written
>> small drivers and libraries for Arduino, bare metal avr chips to interface
>> with sensors. I would like to take it a bit further by learning about
>> ARM-based devices.
>>
>> I have completed the hello world task for GSOC. As I said early I am
>> interested in contributing to the drivers and BSP section for most likely
>> raspberry pi and beaglebone. But I have no idea how to proceed further, any
>> suggestions on where to start and is it okay to ask tons of questions?
>> because I had a look at the previous year's project ideas and very little
>> made sense to me. I am ready to put in my best effort just need some
>> guidance from your side.
>>

> This is a hard question to answer. There is a balance of something
> interesting to do with not sending you on a quest. One extreme would be a
> full BSP from scratch for some expensive hardware that you don't have and
> shouldn't even try to afford. The other extreme is something so simple that
> it isn't interesting. At the same time, it should be useful to the
> community.
>
> I thought a little while about this and think updating the raspberrypi BSP
> to support the pi3/pi4 should be a useful and tractable BSP issue to
> address. It is also useful to the community.
>
> Discussions when this was brought up before indicate that the precise
> System on Chip model changed from the 2 to the 3/4 and at least the base
> address of the UART for the console changed. Getting it working should be a
> combination of detective work to figure out what precisely changed and fix
> it along with the possibility of the need for a different device driver on
> the 3/4.
>
> FWIW I noticed that the RSB package qemu4 includes a simulator for the pi2
> although I haven't had a chance to see if it works with RTEMS. If it does,
> that eliminates absolutely needing pi2 hardware.

Can someone provide instruction on the simulator, I searched a lot but
found no help.

Anyway, that's just one idea. It would be useful.