raspberrypi BSP current status

Christian Mauderer list at c-mauderer.de
Fri Nov 29 21:33:53 UTC 2019

On 29/11/2019 21:12, Niteesh wrote:
> I am interested in contributing to the raspberry pi BSP. As of now RTEMS
> only has support for RPi1 and RPi2, but It seems that most of the code
> for RPi2 should work unmodified for RPi3 and RPi4, I am sure about the
> peripherals since the base address of the registers haven't changed in
> the new ones.
> I looked at the previous GSOC work and README section of the
> raspberrypi, but they look not up to date. I want to know the current
> status of the BSP, what all is completed, yet to be done? so that's I
> could start working on something.

Hello Niteesh,

from a quick look there are the following drivers:
- Serial
- GPIO
- I2C
- SPI
- Some Framebuffer

In 2016 a GSoC student tried to port the USB and Ethernet driver. But it
seems that this work hadn't been merged:

  https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2016

Regarding good starting points: I think you already found some with just
this mail.

- If you have an old Pi1 or 2, you could try to run some basic RTEMS
there as a first step. Or did you already try that?

- You say that it "should work" on RPi3 and RPi4. It would be great if
you could try it and update the documentation if it does.

- If you take some notes while doing the tests, it would be great if you
could donate them to the documentation so the old README could be
replaced:
https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/bsps/bsps-arm.html#raspberrypi

- If you want to start a bigger project you could take a look at the USB
work and test it. Most likely it still needs some work.

- If you are interested in any other peripheral of the Pi: Just ask.

Best regards

Christian