raspberrypi BSP current status

Niteesh gsnb.gn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 18:11:26 UTC 2019

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 3:03 AM Christian Mauderer <list at c-mauderer.de>
wrote:

> On 29/11/2019 21:12, Niteesh wrote:
> > I am interested in contributing to the raspberry pi BSP. As of now RTEMS
> > only has support for RPi1 and RPi2, but It seems that most of the code
> > for RPi2 should work unmodified for RPi3 and RPi4, I am sure about the
> > peripherals since the base address of the registers haven't changed in
> > the new ones.
> > I looked at the previous GSOC work and README section of the
> > raspberrypi, but they look not up to date. I want to know the current
> > status of the BSP, what all is completed, yet to be done? so that's I
> > could start working on something.
> >

> Hello Niteesh,
>
> from a quick look there are the following drivers:
> - Serial
> - GPIO
> - I2C
> - SPI
> - Some Framebuffer
>
> In 2016 a GSoC student tried to port the USB and Ethernet driver. But it
> seems that this work hadn't been merged:
>
>   https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2016
>
> Regarding good starting points: I think you already found some with just
> this mail.
>
> - If you have an old Pi1 or 2, you could try to run some basic RTEMS
> there as a first step. Or did you already try that?

I only have the Pi3 model B. But I did try running basic examples like
hello, ticker
on qemu using this command:
 qemu-system-arm -M raspi2 -m 1G -kernel hello.exe -serial mon:stdio -net
none -nographic -dtb bcm2709-rpi-2-b.dtb
But this does not work sometimes for the same program, it results in fatal
source exception.
I am yet to try these examples on Pi3 because I waiting for my USB - TTL
converter

> - You say that it "should work" on RPi3 and RPi4. It would be great if
> you could try it and update the documentation if it does.
>
> - If you take some notes while doing the tests, it would be great if you
> could donate them to the documentation so the old README could be
> replaced:
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/bsps/bsps-arm.html#raspberrypi
>
> - If you want to start a bigger project you could take a look at the USB
> work and test it. Most likely it still needs some work.

I am very much interested in working on projects like USB, but I lack the
basic's. I having a look at the previous GSOC work, and
other USB work's from different BSP's(beagle). Can you recommend some
resources or things that I should know before hand?

> - If you are interested in any other peripheral of the Pi: Just ask.

I found no example of the GPIO working on raspberrypi, And also there no
clear doc for the GPIO API, is there any examples or docs
that you could point me to?