rtems-addr2line not working on ARM?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Fri Sep 6 07:26:32 UTC 2019

On 06/09/2019 09:01, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 6/9/19 4:20 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I tried the rtems-addr2line on ARM and SPARC. On SPARC it seems to work fine,
>> however, on ARM I get this:
>>
>> rtems-addr2line -e build/arm-rtems5-xilinx_zynq_a9_qemu-everything/media01.exe
>> 0x0000135a
>> /home/EB/sebastian_h/git-rtems-5/c/src/lib/libbsp/arm/xilinx-zynq/../../../../../../bsps/arm/shared/irq/irq-gic.c:264
>>

>> addr2line -e build/arm-rtems5-xilinx_zynq_a9_qemu-everything/media01.exe 0000135a
>> /scratch/git-rtems-libbsd/build/arm-rtems5-xilinx_zynq_a9_qemu-everything/../../testsuite/include/rtems/bsd/test/default-network-init.h:179
>>

>> The GNU tool is right. It is also considerably faster.
> I would hope it is faster and exact. It has had many years of work on it,
> written in C and not a means to test a C++ framework so we can grow an
> ecosystem. I have stated its purpose before. I am perplexed by the intent of
> this statement.
>
> If you want to compare performance I suggest you try the elftools one? There is
> one. It is not built because GNU provides one and good one.
>
> Also be-careful as the exec call is not as fast as Linux on all the hosts we
> support.

That the GNU tool is faster was just an observation.

Do we have a working library solution to get from an address to the
source line/function? I don't have time to debug the DWARF support code
at the moment.

I have a working solution using "addr2line" and rld::process::execute().

I know you don't like to use boost, but it has also a process support
library:

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_71_0/doc/html/process.html

E-Mail  : sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de