rtems-addr2line not working on ARM?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Sep 11 00:31:04 UTC 2019

On 9/9/19 5:12 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 09/09/2019 07:31, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> On 07/09/2019 16:25, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>>> ----- Am 6. Sep 2019 um 18:06 schrieb Sebastian Huber
>>> sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de:

>>> Attached is a patch which uses the LLVM library to get an addr2line
>>> functionality. The code to resolve an address is very easy (item.data is the
>>> address):
>>>
>>>      auto res_or_err = symbolizer_.symbolizeCode(elf_file_, item.data);
>>>
>>>      if (res_or_err) {
>>>        auto info = res_or_err.get();
>>>        std::string fn = info.FunctionName;
>>>        std::string str;
>>>
>>>        if (fn != "<invalid>") {
>>>          str += fn;
>>>          str += " at ";
>>>        }
>>>
>>>        str += llvm::sys::path::filename(info.FileName);
>>>        str += ":";
>>>        str += std::to_string(info.Line);
>>>
>>> LLVM has also support for command line arguments, file handling, etc.
>>
>> The LLVM solution is also the fastest so far:
>>
>> time ../build/trace/rtems-record-lttng -e media01.exe records.bin
>>
>> real    0m0.425s
>> user    0m0.293s
>> sys     0m0.132s
>>
>> addr2line based solution on Linux:
>>
>> real    0m11.944s
>> user    0m5.334s
>> sys     0m6.593s
>
> Compiling this on Windows using mingw64 was a bit difficult. I had to install:
>
> mingw-w64-x86_64-llvm
> mingw-w64-x86_64-clang
>
> I used clang to build the tool by hand. I had to remove the use of the POSIX
> open/connect/socket/etc. and replace it with fopen().
>
> The CTF stream files generated on Linux and Windows were identical using LLVM.

I think LLVM is a great idea for us moving forward but it has some hurdles we
need to overcome. I like the idea of a maintained code base that is fast and has
working 64bit support, something that is not tested or working in the
rtemstoolkit code.

Does LLVM as used in trace have support for all of the current RTEMS
architectures? If it does not what do we do?

We have been avoiding depending on packages on hosts because of our past
experiences ..

1. getting a stable consistent version across all hosts can be difficult and
with environments like cygwin and msys having a floating head and no release
things age and break which makes long term support harder.

2. A more complicated set up process for users.

3. Not all hosts have a packaging system, ie MacOS. Using macports or homebrew
in our experience can result in collateral issues when building our tools.

We need to consider how we transition from where we are to an LLVM based
solution, it doubt it can happening in a few simple steps. As stated in another
email I wonder if focusing on clang and LLVM as a tool set for RTEMS is a valid
path. This is a large task and I suspect not available for every architecture
but something worth giving real consideration too as it will happen in time.