Add chapter for newib build in RTEMS Docs

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Sep 13 01:34:58 UTC 2019

On 13/9/19 8:42 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 2:09 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Vaibhav,
>>
>> It would be nice to provide such documentation, but I don't know that
>> we have an existing location that would be an ideal fit. I think the
>> topic is out of scope for User Manual. If you are motivated to write
>> something though, you could prepare it first as a standalone guide.
>
> If we have a name for the document like "Maintainers Guide" or something,
> it could have a focus on procedures that only core developers would need.
>
> + bootstrapping newlib and building it independently
> + modifying gcc, running tests,
> + submitting Coverity runs
> + running Doxygen
> + ...

These are all valid and important however can these reside in the Software
Engineering manual?

We current have ...

 1. RTEMS Software Engineering
 2. RTEMS Filesystem Design Guide
 3. RTEMS Development Environment Guide
 4. RTEMS BSP and Driver Guide

plus 'RTEMS BSP and Driver Guide' which I am not sure about. All these cover
some aspect of maintaining and developing RTEMS. Should we be considering
consolidation rather than expansion?