rtems tester: Why does rtems_test_assert() just exit?

dufault at hda.com dufault at hda.com
Sun Sep 22 11:12:20 UTC 2019

> On Sep 21, 2019, at 17:29 , dufault at hda.com wrote:
>

>> On Sep 21, 2019, at 17:04 , Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

(…)
>> The tester is designed to avoid cycling power. A clean working target should
>> only need a single power on at the start and a single power off at the end.
>> Repeated power cycling can stress power supplies and targets, some switch modes
>> do not like it. Some targets have hardware reset issues and may need a power
>> cycle and I have seen uboot get wedged. The power cycle logic is for those
>> cases. I would not expect this being needed on each boot. Also it is a reset
>> which can be a power cycle or a wired reset signal however some SOCs these days
>> have separate power on reset (POR) logic and a reset signal logic.
>>
>> Chris
>
> You are bringing up most of my concerns in your response, I’ll go over your response properly tomorrow AM when I’ll have free time.  Thanks.

I think if I change "rtems_test_assert()" to invoke "exit(RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_ASSERT)" instead of "exit(0)" and then use the following for the reset expression it will do what I would like.  I'm sure there is a better way to do that regular expression but I'll use this for a test.

target_reset_regex = .* RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_BDBUF, .*|.* RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_APPLICATION, .*|.* RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_BSP, .*|.* RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_ASSERT, .*|.* RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_STACK_CHECKER, .*|.* RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_EXCEPTION, .*|.* RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_SMP, .*|.* RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_PANIC, .*|.* RTEMS_FATAL_SOURCE_INVALID_HEAP_FREE, .*

Peter
Peter Dufault

This email is delivered through the public internet using protocols subject to interception and tampering.