llvm on ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Sep 23 23:36:20 UTC 2019

On 24/9/19 7:30 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:

> I'm trying out the rtems-llvm.bset on Ubuntu 18.04.
>
> The first error I encountered was during cmake configuration for llvm,
> it can't find swig.

That is strange as it should be built for you under the `swig_prefix`. I wonder
if it is being built but is not being seen by llvm's cmake. I had to add
building swig for MacOS. ON FreeBSD the package was all that was needed.

> So, I built the devel/swig.bset inside of bare,
> and tried again. It got past that error, but it is picking up the
> installed swig and not the swig that is built by the RSB.

I think at this point in time this is fine. It would be good have this
dependency properly managed but this moves us into the issues in the other
thread about packages and the dependencies.

> I saw this in my rsb log. I'm not sure if it is important, but it
> doesn't seem to affect anything:
> -- Found Git: /usr/bin/git (found version "2.17.1")
> -- git Version: v0.0.0
> -- Version: 0.0.0

Is this the LLVM git version and as the source is not in git the version is
'0.0.0', ie no version?

> The second error I encountered comes from missing libedit_INCLUDE_DIRS
> I had a few options, but I went with: apt-get install libedit-dev

OK. This looks like a dependency. Do you know which tool in LLVM needed this?

> This got me past the configuration stages and into building, which
> finished successfully.

Great.

> I have previously built llvm by hand on this machine, so I don't know
> if I would encounter other problems in a vanilla environment. I may
> try that out in a few days.

We are building lldb and I suspect it is adding these extra dependencies.

Thank you for taking the time to test and report what you have found.