BSD licensed Picolibc 1.0 released

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Tue Sep 24 15:03:12 UTC 2019

Hi mko,

RTEMS has a fairly strong relationship (dependency) with newlib, and
that has been working well for a long time. Although the prospect of
having a way to 'drop-in' alternative libc could be nice for small
targets, it would be of more interest to us to see ways to optimize
newlib to shrink it if needed. The use of stripped-down libc for
low-resource targets usually means a feature-rich RTOS like RTEMS will
not be needed either. These kinds of libc are more interesting for
baremetal or low-complexity RTOSs, and some hypervisor-like systems
that want an extremely small, trusted code base.

But, thanks for the heads up about the picolibc.

Gedare