BSD licensed Picolibc 1.0 released

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Sep 25 00:50:08 UTC 2019

On 25/9/19 1:03 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> Hi mko,
>
> RTEMS has a fairly strong relationship (dependency) with newlib, and
> that has been working well for a long time. Although the prospect of
> having a way to 'drop-in' alternative libc could be nice for small
> targets, it would be of more interest to us to see ways to optimize
> newlib to shrink it if needed. The use of stripped-down libc for
> low-resource targets usually means a feature-rich RTOS like RTEMS will
> not be needed either. These kinds of libc are more interesting for
> baremetal or low-complexity RTOSs, and some hypervisor-like systems
> that want an extremely small, trusted code base.

I agree and it builds with meson which is also interesting.

I am finding the license a little confusing. The repo on github [1] contains
GPL2, GPL3, LGPL, Newlib and more licenses while the README.md says there is no
GPL bits from newlib in the repo and it is basically a mix of 2 and 3 clause
BSD. Why have a copy of the GPL licenses in the repo?

Chris

[1] https://github.com/keith-packard/picolibc