RTEMS Timeline Update and 25th Anniversary of First Public Commit

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Apr 15 17:05:44 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 1:22 AM Christian Mauderer <
christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> [...]
> >     > project repository and snapshots/releases made available via ftp.
> >     I know
> >     > I started with the project in July 1989 and was coding nearly from
> the
> >     > first day.
> >     >
> >     > With this in mind,
> >     the https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/History/Timeline is
> >     > sorely out of date and lacking missing entries. Multiple mission
> >     > launches, addition of SMP, GSoC, GCI, and SOCIC participation,
> move to
> >     > OSU OSL, incorporation of RTEMS Foundation, scientific
> >     discoveries like
> >     > the particle discovered by an Atlas detector at CERN or the famous
> >     gamma
> >     > ray burst from Fermi. All are missing.
> >     >
> >     > Please pitch in and help. If you want to help but don't have any
> >     ideas,
> >     > just post back and I will try to follow up with ideas that someone
> >     else
> >     > can put a date on.
> >     >
> >     > Thanks.
> >     >
> >     > --joel
> >
> >     I added some small stuff (start of SMP work, main work, release
> numbers)
> >     based on the git history (see
> >
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/History/Timeline?action=diff&version=27&old_version=25
> ).
> >

> > Thanks! That's a good set of information.
> >

> >     Although I'm terribly bad with dates: You said you would try to
> follow
> >     up with ideas. If you have any where I might could help, please let
> >     me know.
> >

> > How about these (random and before coffee/tea)
> >
> > + Any cool non-space programs folks can admit to?
> > + First submission from some core developers.
> >     - Chris was second submitter and is in the 91-92 timeframe. We don't
> > remember.
> >     - Thomas first shows up in git in March 1998.
> >     - Sebastian gets a nod in July 2008. :)
> > + When were some ports added?
> > + When were some interesting/popular BSPs added: Zyng, Leon3, gba, etc
> >     - FWIW the original PC BSP was based on DJ Delorie's go32 and
> pre-dates
> >       the git history. I did that on a single PC (486 with 32 MB RAM). I
> > couldn't run
> >       X11 and compile at the same time. I had to reboot to test. Yes it
> > was uphill
> >       both ways back in those days. :)
> > + When were some of the original ports/BSPs removed?
> >    - mvme135/136 was first BSP
> >    - i386 was second port
> >    - i960 was last of original 3 ports
> > + Interesting features? Like libnetworking, libbsd, shell, dynamic
> > + The Cygnus floppy mailing:
> >     https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/joel/CygnusFloppyAugust1995/
> >
> > This may be good as a small tasks ticket where people cross things off

Thank you. I went ahead and added the incorporation of the RTEMS Foundation
to the wiki and the NASA Fermi discovery which won the top prize in high
energy
astrophysics in 2018.

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/news/releases/2018/18-004.html

I'd love to see folks speak up and share that type of event. :)

And randomly, Fermi was launched in 2008 and expected to last five years.
It is now at 12 and the last I checked with them, they expected to continue
get funding to keep running.