RTEMS examples build failed

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Apr 21 01:40:18 UTC 2020

On 21/4/20 7:03 am, Vijay Kumar Banerjee wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 11:33 PM Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
>     We don't have to reinvent the wheel. We could copy the wscript of the
>     new build system to the examples and add a couple of specification
>     items. Building test programs is really not that much different to
>     building applications.
>
> Just to make sure I understood correctly: Do you suggest that we replace
> the rtems_waf in examples with the wscript similar to the new build system?

Please do not do this. I am reluctant to again head down the path of
exposing the internals of the rtems.git build system to users via
examples. It says to our users they need to use this approach to
building RTEMS applications and that is not the case. It also removes
the need for us to make sure we correctly handle exporting the needed
build data for a BSP. I like the current separation.

I prefer the examples are just that, an example of code to use and how
to build an application with different build systems. I welcome support
for other build systems being added to our examples. It just needs
someone to maintain whatever is added.

The rtems_waf approach is based on the currently exported data and when
a new build system is agreed on and merged it will be updated.