[GSoC 2020]: Need help in writing sed alternative in Python for RSB recipes

Mritunjay Sharma mritunjaysharma394 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 10:16:31 UTC 2020

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 1:12 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 16/8/20 8:29 am, Mritunjay Sharma wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 12:15 AM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org
> > <mailto:gedare at rtems.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi Mritunjay, Chris:
> >
> >     For the RSB, since it is user-facing, we need to be sure to minimize
> >     its dependencies on the user environment and platform. So this pycli
> >     can only be used if it is distributed standard with Python 2 and
> >     Python 3.
> >
> >     Would someone be able to apply this patch and use it to build epics?
> >     No, because (1) they won't have pycli available, and (2) they don't
> >     have a path /home/mritunjay
> >

> > I think what you are saying is absolutely right. It will be really a
> great help
> > if Chris can guide on what next can be done.
>
> See below.
>
> > As far as 'pycli' is concerned, I have made a couple of minor tweaks.
> Gave it a
> > better name 'sedpy' and made it public on GitHub.
> >
> > Please find the link to the
> > project here: https://github.com/mritunjaysharma394/sedpy
>
> Thanks but I currently do not see a need for this tool.
>
> > I will appreciate if mentors can have a look and try this and see if it
> in any
> > way can be modified
> > to be used with RSB or else we will go with what is suggested.
>
> Please put the RSB to one side. I will let you know when we can return to
> it.
>
> I believe patching config files in EPCIS from the RSB is fragile. EPICS
> should
> be free to change any of these files without needing to considering the
> effect
> it has on the RSB. Just because we can peek inside does not means we are
> free to
> exploit what we see.
>
> What happens if you define the needed variables on the make command line?
> For
> example:
>
>  gmake RTEMS_BASE=$HOME/development/rtems/5 RTEMS_VERSION=5.1-rc2
>
> These variables are just normal make ones and so they can be overridden
> from the
> command line.
>
> Please investigate this and see what happens?

Hi Chris,
I investigated and used:

 `make RTEMS_BASE=$HOME/development/rtems/5-arm RTEMS_VERSION=5`

This worked perfectly fine and the build was successful. Thank you so much
for telling this. It makes it so
easy. What can we do next? This surely removes the requirement of `sed` or
the tool I built to make command line changes.

Thanks
Mritunjay