Context switching through an ISR in RTEMS

Utkarsh Rai utkarsh.rai60 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 17:55:46 UTC 2020

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:12 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:30 AM Utkarsh Rai <utkarsh.rai60 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 9:24 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> gedare at rtems.org
> isolation
> already
> switching
> test).
> documentation:
> >> >> >
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/c-user/interrupt_manager.html#processing-an-interrupt
> >> >> >
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/c-user/scheduling_concepts.html#dispatching-tasks
> >> >> >
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/c-user/config/general.html#configure-interrupt-stack-size
> >> >> >
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/cpu-supplement/port.html#interrupt-processing
> rtems-docs.git/porting
> between
> context-switch?
> stack
> but
> get a
> page
> the
> think
> R/W
> entry
> "rtemsstack.idle"

> couple of

> as well as cpu.h, to align for 4K pages.
> >>
> >> Great. Now, a question: can the Idle Task and Interrupt Stack share
> >> the same 4K page?
> >

> > I am not sure whether you mean if they should have the same address or
> if they have overlapping addresses ( For example if the idle thread stack
> is at 0x202e40 and interrupt stack is at 0x204e40 then they should have the
> 0x20300-0x20400 address as common)?
>
> All this page-alignment stuff might be wasting a lot of space for
> stacks that are smaller than 4K size. So, could you allocate them both
> in the same 4K region?

The stacks are placed at different addresses using the linker script by  "
*(SORT_BY_ALIGNMENT (SORT_BY_NAME (.rtemsstack*))) " and each of them have
4k sizes by default. This means that we have to have the same addresses for
both the ISR and the idle stacks if we want them in the same 4K region.
Also, we have a minimum stack size as 4K by default, so at max, we would be
wasting a single page.