rtems waf, examples, and RTEMS_POSIX_API

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Dec 1 06:31:00 UTC 2020

On 30/11/2020 21:43, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 1:06 PM Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
>
>     On 30/11/2020 20:00, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
>     >     Applications can use something like:
>     >
>     >     #if __RTEMS_MAJOR__ >= 5
>     >
>     >     POSIX threads are always enabled ...
>     >
>     >     #endif
>     >
>     >
>     > This is a change to our public API that was completely unnecessary.
>     >
>     > We do not require changes to application code when it can be
>     avoided.
>     If you enable the POSIX API, then you don't have to change
>     anything in
>     your application. You can use now more of the POSIX API without
>     having
>     to enable it explicitly. It is up to you if you want to rely on
>     this or not.
>

> What about rtems-libbsd? It fails to build because of this flag having
> changed
> meaning.
>
> I think we broke a contract on what the meaning of a published
> feature macro means.

Sorry, I still don't understand the problem. You always had to build
libbsd with a BSP which was configured with --enable-posix.

Since now more POSIX APIs are enabled by default, we may remove this
check from libbsd. However, this requires someone with enough time to
implement and test this.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER