rtems-docs.git cross-linked documents

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Dec 9 01:19:29 UTC 2020

Hello,

I have discovered a growing number of cross-links in the documentation...

$ grep -r 'branches/master' . | wc -l
      42

We cannot cleanly support cross-referencing documents via href links and
referencing master like this is wrong. HTML might be workable if someone is
willing to invest the time however PDF documents have no relative capability
that I know of.

I have raised #4200 to handle a specific instance in the build section of the
user manual however I can re-purpose the ticket to cover all instances and make
it a release blocker. We cannot make a release while referencing master.

We need to clean this up and stop adding links like this. I know it is
frustrating however I am yet to see a suitable technical solution for all
formats we generate. That is the requirement that needs to be met to add
cross-linking back.

A solution could be a configure option that accepts a URL path. If no option was
provided no href link is created. A use case for no cross-liniing is a CDROM of
documentation or documentation deployed by an installer where the user can
select the install path.

Thanks