CMake support

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Sun Dec 13 23:45:07 UTC 2020

On 12/12/20 6:09 am, Robin Müller wrote:
> I added the suggestions by Chris Johns now and performed some more tests (for
> example disabling the default compiler checks, custom checks are required for
> RTEMS).
>
> I used RTEMS_PREFIX instead of PREFIX

These are 2 parts that need to be specified, the RTEMS tools (RTEMS_TOOLS) and
the BSP (RTEMS). This convention is part of the RSB and rtems_waf interface. I
suggest you do not more to far from it.

> because PREFIX appears to be a reserved
> name in CMake,'

It does not surprise me cmake has done this.

> and RTEMS_PREFIX is also a little bit more explicit.

Prefix as a term is relative term to a specific build system. The installed
parts are the tools and the BSP. After that you can use anything to define the
package, library or application being built and where it is installed.

> It is now possible to set a separate BSP path by supplying RTEMS_PATH and a
> different tools path by supplying RTEMS_TOOLS like suggested.

RTEMS_TOOLS is good however can RTEMS be used for the path to the install RTEMS BSP?

> Maybe CMake can also read the .pc pkgfiles in some way to determine
> compiler/linker flags automatically, at least Kitware has a module like
> this https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/blob/master/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake
> <https://github.com/Kitware/CMake/blob/master/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake> .

Nice, this is what you want to use. Is it a standard part of cmake and if so do
you what version it was added?