Device Tree Blob for Beaglebone Black?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Feb 24 06:01:00 UTC 2020

> On 24 Feb 2020, at 5:32 am, Christian Mauderer <list at c-mauderer.de> wrote:
>
> On 23/02/2020 17:07, Alan Cudmore wrote:
>> I have been trying to bring up RTEMS with rtems-libbsd on the
>> beaglebone black (latest master).
>>
>> I can run the regular RTEMS samples on the board, and a couple of the
>> rtems-libbsd testsuite examples run as well.
>>
>> The samples such as ping01 and usb01 get a fatal exception in the
>> function fdt_ro_probe_ , leading me to believe that maybe I am not
>> using the correct device tree blob.
>>
>> I'm using the instructions here:
>> https://git.rtems.org/rtems-docs/tree/user/bsps/arm/beagle.rst
>>
>> And I have am loading am335x-boneblack.dtb that I copied from a linux
>> u-boot build. The instructions talk about getting the one from the
>> FreeBSD repository, but there are many other files included in that
>> dts source.
>>
>> What dtb is normally used for the Beaglebone black RTEMS libbsd testing?
>>
>> Is the dtb needed for the non-libbsd BSP?
>>
>> Also, is the ethernet supported on the RTEMS beagle BSP, or do I need
>> libbsd to get ethernet?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alan
>
> Hello Alan,
>
> I recommend to use the FreeBSD device trees. libbsd is FreeBSD based and
> therefore works best with them. Normally I would suggest to use the
> version matching the FreeBSD commit used in libbsd. But unfortunately in
> the last commit that doesn't seem to work. Vijay had some problems with
> it and noted that the version from FreeBSD commit
> 19a6ceb89dbacf74697d493e48c388767126d418 works fine.

Is this with 5 branch in Libbsd?

I am a little confused about the branch to package in a release and also which FDT files we need for which branch. If different I feel a release will makes things more complicated. This flies into the BSP  vertical stack building in the RSB.

I am working on releasing and I hope this does not block things.