Waf Build System Status in RTEMS?

Amar Takhar amar at rtems.org
Wed Feb 26 03:02:06 UTC 2020

I've been working on setting up hardware testing in my lab at home.  The Device
Tree documentation we have currently is horrible:

  https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/exe/device-tree.html

It's a list of command and descriptions about what it is but not what they do.

For instance look at section 8.8.1.  The 'dtc' command?  Where do I get it?  I
have one on FreeBSD .. what if I'm running Linux is it the same 'dtc' command?
I have FreeBSD from 6 years ago will that work or what about the CURRENT machine
I have.  There is no minimum version.

Also, I'm aware this command exists on Linux.  except:

root at beer:~# dtc
bash: dtc: command not found

root at beer:~# apt-get install dtc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package dtc

This on a Debian 10 machine.

So let me search for it:

root at beer:~# aptitude search dtc
p   ddtc               - Deal with ddts mails
p   dtc-xen            - SOAP daemon and scripts to allow contr
p   dtc-xen-firewall   - small firewall script for your dom0
p   python-dtcwt       - Dual-Tree Complex Wavelet Transform li
p   python-dtcwt-doc   - documentation for dtcwt
p   python3-dtcwt      - Dual-Tree Complex Wavelet Transform li
p   sbox-dtc           - CGI chroot wrapper script for safer ho

Nope, nothing, but of course *I* know what it is the documentation doesn't tell
me, though:

root at beer:~# aptitude search device|grep -i tree
p  device-tree-compiler - Device Tree Compiler for Flat Device Trees

[install]

root at beer:~# dtc -v
Version: DTC 1.5.0

Finally.. but now I'm not so sure I'm there because on FreeBSD:

verm at peach# dtc -v
Version: dtc 0.5.0 compatible with gpl dtc 1.4.7

Are these really the same tool?  Which one do I use?  What version?  How do I
even know that the output is correct do I just run the commands blindly and hope
it works?

FreeBSD is another story.  It does have a package called 'dtc' which I had to
install to get 'fdtoverlay'...which is interesting because the 'dtc' command
exists in FreeBSD as part of the base:

root at peach# which dtc
/usr/bin/dtc

Yet there is no 'fdtoverlay'.  I had to install the 'dtc' package -- a command I
already have mind you to get 'fdtoverlay'.  Again these are things I know how to
find but a new user has no chance.. also:

root at peach# fdtoverlay -V
Version: DTC 1.4.7

It's not even 1.5.. and now I have two 'dtc' commands one in /usr/bin/dtc and
another in /usr/local/bin/dtc.  Which one do I use and what version.

Amar.