RTEMS Tester possible issues

Cláudio Maia clrrm at isep.ipp.pt
Wed Feb 26 10:13:10 UTC 2020

Hello,

This email describes several possible issues related to RTEMS Tester and its documentation.

1- On the documentation page of RTEMS Tester (https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/tools/tester.html) it is stated that one can use "sparc-rtems5-run" to execute/test programs compiled for SPARC architectures.
However, this command does not exist in the bin folder of the toolchain, and I believe that is not being built when building the toolchain executables (at least with the configurations that I am using).
Is this command not being used any more?

2- Consequently, when executing the Tester with the following options (as suggested in Section 11.5.3):

$ rtems-test --log=log_erc32_run --rtems-bsp=erc32-run --rtems-tools=$RTEMS/5 ./build/sparc-rtems5/c/erc32/testsuites/samples

I get the following error message for each of the tests (example for base_sp.exe):

error: run.cfg:70: execute failed: /opt/working-dir/rtems/5/bin/sparc-rtems5-run ./build/sparc-rtems5/c/erc32/testsuites/samples/base_sp.exe: exit-code:2

However, if I modify the bsp from "erc32-run" to "erc32-sis", as follows:

$ rtems-test  --log=log_erc32_run --rtems-bsp=erc32-sis --rtems-tools=$RTEMS/5 ./build/sparc-rtems5/c/erc32/testsuites/samples

all tests execute with success, as it is using the SIS simulator.
This is an indicator that "--rtems-bsp=erc32-run" is using "sparc-rtems5-run" which is not being built (as explained in 1).

3- Oddly enough, when I execute the RTEMS Tester with "--rtems-bsp=erc32-run" as an option and using the "samples" folder as input, the minimum.exe passes the test without any error message.
However, when executing the test alone, as follows:

$ rtems-test --log=log_erc32_run --rtems-bsp=erc32-run --rtems-tools=$RTEMS/5 ./build/sparc-rtems5/c/erc32/testsuites/samples/minimum.exe

the log shows the same error message (as below) but the test is marked as passed.

error: run.cfg:70: execute failed: /opt/working-dir/rtems/5/bin/sparc-rtems5-run ./build/sparc-rtems5/c/erc32/testsuites/samples/minimum.exe: exit-code:2

4- The documentation mentions GDB in Section 11.5.3 "Select the erc32 BSP and use GDB." but no GDB instance is instantiated by default when running the tester and no GDB option appears in the help of "rtems-tester --help" command. Am I missing something here?

5- Now concerning ARM architectures, is there any equivalent procedure to cross-test executables for ARM architectures, as there is at the moment for SPARC (with SIS)? What is the purpose of "arm-rtems5-run"?

Regards,
Cláudio