Cheap Small PC for RTEMS testing

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Jan 21 14:56:06 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 5:33 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 14/1/20 9:40 am, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > I was looking for a recommendation as a cheap test PC option.
> >
> > I was considering the Minnowboard but it looks like minnowboard.org
> > <http://minnowboard.org> is dead which makes me a bit vervois. It has
> 64-bit
> > BIOS. Did we ever get far enough where this might work?
>
> No as it only has UEFI booting.
>
> > https://store.netgate.com/Turbot4.aspx
>
> It may have the same problem as the Minnow boards, ie UEFI booting only.
>
> > Does anyone have any recommendation? Doesn't have to be fancy. Just a
> UART for
> > console and no development required to make the PC work with RTEMS. :)
>
> I have an old ITX board. It is sooooooo sloooooowwww net booting.

We have an old Winsystems board of similar size which has a PC104 slot.
It has a MultiIO card on it which according to Lou is still available.
But it can be slow booting also.

I was looking at the PCs here which list COM ports. I got far enough with
one to look at the manual for the BIOS screens. Couldn't quite convince
myself it had legacy boot. Maybe you will have more luck.