About Beaglebone Black device tree

Vijay Kumar Banerjee vijaykumar9597 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 15:04:53 UTC 2020

Hi,

While trying to run an rtems-littlevgl app on BBB, I found that the device
tree generated from the freebsd source matching the freebsd-org
HEAD commit doesn't work with the app and framebuffer device fails
to open. This is most likely due to the changes in the freebsd dts
sources because of which the overlay isn't working as expected.

I haven't had a detailed look at what's missing and the u-boot isn't
reporting any error in applying the overlay either. I checked that the
device tree built from freebsd tree matching the following commit
works:
19a6ceb89dbacf74697d493e48c388767126d418

This brings up two questions:
1. Should we add the commit hash in the user manual so that the user can
build
    from source matching that commits instead of HEAD. This can be a
problem
    as other codes ported from freebsd might break if the device tree
doesn't
    match the HEAD commit of freebsd-org

2. How do we manage the device tree overlays required by RTEMS or libbsd?
    I guess only BBB uses an overlay currently. Can we add a BSD license to
    the overlay and add it somewhere in rtems or rtems-libbsd repository and
    maintain it?

Best regards,
Vijay