ARM GCC machine options for RTEMS 6

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Sat Jul 4 07:43:09 UTC 2020

On 04/07/2020 01:03, Chris Johns wrote:

> On 3/7/20 5:06 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> someone from ARM changed the machine options used to build the RTEMS multilibs
>> some time ago (I think GCC 8):
> Was a reason given?
ARM thinks the new options are easier to use.

>> arm-rtems6-gcc -print-multi-lib -march=armv4t
>> .;
>> thumb;@mthumb
>> armv5te+fp/hard;@march=armv5te+fp at mfloat-abi=hard
>> thumb/armv6-m;@mthumb at march=armv6-m
>> thumb/armv7-a;@mthumb at march=armv7-a
>> thumb/armv7-r;@mthumb at march=armv7-r
>> thumb/cortex-m3;@mthumb at mcpu=cortex-m3
>> thumb/cortex-m4+nofp;@mthumb at mcpu=cortex-m4+nofp
>> thumb/armv7-a+simd/hard;@mthumb at march=armv7-a+simd at mfloat-abi=hard
>> thumb/armv7-r+fp/hard;@mthumb at march=armv7-r+fp at mfloat-abi=hard
>> thumb/cortex-m4/hard;@mthumb at mcpu=cortex-m4 at mfloat-abi=hard
>> thumb/cortex-m7/hard;@mthumb at mcpu=cortex-m7 at mfloat-abi=hard
>> eb/thumb/armv7-r;@mbig-endian at mthumb@march=armv7-r
>> eb/thumb/armv7-r+fp/hard;@mbig-endian at mthumb@march=armv7-r+fp at mfloat-abi=hard
>>
>> It seems that our current machine options still map to the right multilib:
>>
>> arm-rtems6-gcc -print-multi-directory -march=armv7-a -mthumb -mfpu=neon
>> -mfloat-abi=hard -mtune=cortex-a9
>> thumb/armv7-a+simd/hard
>>
>> arm-rtems6-gcc -print-multi-directory -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16
>> -mfloat-abi=hard
>> thumb/cortex-m4/hard
>>
>> arm-rtems6-gcc -print-multi-directory -march=armv7-r -mthumb -mbig-endian
>> eb/thumb/armv7-r
>>
>> arm-rtems6-gcc -print-multi-directory -march=armv7-r -mthumb -mbig-endian
>> -mfpu=vfpv3-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard
>> eb/thumb/armv7-r+fp/hard
>>
>> Should we change the options to match the ones given in the multilib definition
>> or should we keep the current options? If we change the options, then we can no
>> longer build with GCC 7.
> Would we need to build gcc 7 for RTEMS 6?

No, but for a git bisect it would be nice to use the RTEMS 5 compiler
for a while for the master branch.

Since the new build system will be a hard break, maybe we should keep
the options as is in the old build system and start with the new options
in the new build system.