Converting stack address to shared-memory object name

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Jul 8 12:53:22 UTC 2020

On 08/07/2020 14:43, Utkarsh Rai wrote:

> Hello,
> For my GSoC project, I have to provide high-level APIs for sharing
> isolated stacks.
> The POSIX compliant high-level way of sharing stacks can be to create
> a shared memory object of the stack to be shared through shm_open and
> then mmap that to the address space of the current stack. My doubt is,
> shm_open() takes the path-name of the shared memory object. Since this
> is a high-level API, how does the user 'convert' the stack address to
> a shared memory object name?
Do we need any POSIX compatibility for this? What would you do in a
POSIX environment? You first get some memory, then hand it over to
shm_open() to get a file descriptor, then use the file descriptor in
mmap(), then use this for pthread_attr_setstack() and whatever?

> Dr.Gedare mentioned that one way to deal with naming would be
> something like Mr.Sebastian has been doing with specifications. From
> what I could gather, it is a hierarchical way of representing
> objects(Though, I am not very sure if  I understand this accurately).
> How can something like this be implemented for naming stack-addresses?
I am not sure if the specification of RTEMS is helpful in this context.