GSoC 2020: Implemented FreeBSD structures in RTEMS

Niteesh G. S. niteesh.gs at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 19:41:11 UTC 2020

Hello,

As part of my GSoC project: Beagle BSP: Add FDT based initialization

I had to import a few drivers from libBSD to RTEMS this eventually led to
importing their dependencies and other simple drivers. While porting these
drivers we saw a huge amount of code being duplicated or I must say a
pattern being followed. So we decided to implement a few structures related
to FreeBSD into RTEMS which will help in reducing the porting work required.

I have also written about this in my blog. I have compared the work needed
port with and without these structures implemented.
Please have a look:
https://gs-niteesh.github.io/#making-freebsd-import-easy-in-rtems-june-17-2020

https://github.com/gs-niteesh/rtems/commit/2790c1e3e7eb209bb3c17909ab6e5b469cdeb4b0
Please have a look at the above commit.

The functions implemented are a simpler version of the one implemented in
libBSD
and are no replacement for them.

Thanks,
Niteesh.